Saturday, June 12, 2004

I don't mind mentioning here just how miserable I have been these last two weeks with a herniated disc flare up causing a particular nerve to pinch between my neck and my left shoulder blade.

IT FUCKING HURTS!!!

But I know there are worse things to endure, and my plight is small, in the grand scheme of things.

None-the-less, I have spent the greater part of today in a Darvie-induced snooze. It's impossible to get comfortable, so I just slog back more pink pills and hope for the best.

ButI did get to practice mi espanol on the guys who came over to put in our fence posts.

me: Buenos diaz.
he: Buenos diaz. ¿lkjfoaiudoiajkrlnektafjoidjafd, ?
me: ?????
he: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
me: I'm just learning.
he: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
me: But you knew that.
he: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA
me: Deseas cafe?
he: No gracias.
me: You mean I said that right?
he: Si.
me: WOO HOO!

Tony, the foreman, stone mason, was most impressed that I am learning Spanish simply because I want to and not as a job requirement or some other reason. Well, yes, it is a school requirement, but I could be studying French instead.

me: I also think it's increasingly necessary in this country to be able to communicate in Spanish.
he: That's no joke. When I moved here in 1977 there weren't any Mexicans. Now we're all over the place!
me: Cierto.
he: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In the meantime I am reading a collection of essays by Lucy Grealy "As Seen On TV: Provocations." Very interesting view of the world by the writer of the memoir "Autobiography of a Face." I think she committed suicide, not sure.

I just finished reading "Unless" by Carol Shields and THAT turned out to be a fascinating read about a woman who has it all until her eldest daughter drops out of life and turns up on a street corner, mute, begging for money, w/ a hand made sign around her neck that simply reads: GOODNESS. Why?? What happened???

Otherwise, I'm wondering just where in the world Becka is if she isn't blogging. I'm waiting on a watch I ordered to arrive. I'm hoping to pass this Spanish class and have a few days off for writing before my next course (American Gov't) begins.

Been listening to a lot of jazz lately, especially early Ray Charles. (weep).

More than any other thing, I want one friend in particular to know that he is the most precious thing on this earth, and that he is loved, in every possible way. My heart aches and soars with you, mi amigo.