Wednesday, June 16, 2004

True Confessions:

I have over 1000 music cd's. I have so many discs that I sometimes find one that I don't remember buying, or remember buying, but have never listened to. Or have listened but have forgotten listening to it. Every such find is a new treasure.

I dug out the one Anne Murray disc I have and listened to it this morning as I practiced Spanish. Someone needed her at one time, and in another moment, time itself ran out on her. I bet she still sells well in Canada.

I have this one Anne Murray disc for my very schmaltzy moods. Like yesterday when I started humming "You Needed Me" but couldn't remember any of the other lyrics. That drives me nuts. Instead, I remembered hearing it for the first time on a school bus in Gonzales, Louisiana. It was followed by Journey's "Lovin, Touchin, Sqeeeeeeeeezin" and I have that disc, too.

I also have one Queensryche disc for my head banging moods. If you listen to "Empire" and get past its loudness, you will discover the story of a man in transition, from naive youngster to worldly missionary.

Not unlike Radiohead's "OK Computer" which is GENIUS commentary about the current state of western society.

I have Coldplay for when I feel like listening to U2 but don't want to listen to U2 themselves.

I have Arrested Development, the first hip hop that reached out to me. I still miss them, and Soul II Soul, as well. But, to keep on movin....

I have Weird Lizard Disease... bet you've never heard of them, have you? WLD is a Colorado band that should have made it big, but never did. And now that grunge is gone, I suspect they are too.

I like to balance all this out with Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits, Rosanne Cash, Elvis Costello and Rickie Lee Jones.

Between us, mr. zippy and I have every Nanci Griffith, Big Head Todd, Cowboy Junkies, Melissa Etheridge, The Chieftains, Bach, Mozart and Vivaldi worth having.

And every now and then, Louis Prima demands attention, as do Erika Badhu, Tom Jones and Elvis.

Coltrane is a permanent disc in the carousel.

Etta James, Uta Lemper, Ella, Billie, Dave's True Story, and if I'm not mistaken, Dwight Yoakum.

Peter Murphy anyone? The The? Kate Bush? Prince? Psychedelic Furs? The DeVynls? Oooh, oh!, I touch myself...

Yeah, got them, too.

We got rid of all the jewel cases a few years back and put all the discs w/ liner notes in plastic sleeves. Then we bought a dresser just for them. We have room to grow.

No doubt we will.