Sunday, January 30, 2005

I drink good coffee every morning.
It comes from a place far away.
And when I'm done I feel
like talking.
Without you here there's
so much less to say.
I don't want you thinking
that I'm unhappy.
What's closer to the truth is
that if I lived until I was
one hundred and two
I just don't htink I'll ever
get over you.
I'm no longer moved
to drink strong whiskey.
I shook the hand of time
and I knew:
If I lived until I could no longer
climb my stairs,
I just don't think I'll ever
get over you.
A face that dances, and it haunts me.
your laughter still ringing
in my ears.
I still find pieces of your presence
here -- even after all these years.
And I don't want you thinking
that I don't get asked to dinner.
Because I'm here to tell you that
sometimes I do.
Even though I may soon feel
the touch of love
I just don't think I'll ever get
over you.