Thursday, June 30, 2005

Between Here and Gone


Tonight the moon came up.
It was nearly full.
Way down here on earth
I could feel its pull.
The weight of gravity
Of just the moon light
Made me want to leave
My only home tonight.
I’m just wondering
How we know where we belong.
Is it in a photograph,
Or a dashboard poet’s song.
Well I have missed my chance
To right some ancient wrong -
Should I find myself between
Here and gone.
I could grab my keys
And peel out in my truck
With every saint on board
Bringing me their luck.
I could drive too fast
Like a midnight sleeve,
As if there was a way to
Out run the grief.
I’m just wondering
How we know where we belong.
In a song that’s left behind
Or a dream I couldn’t wake from -
Could I have felt the brush
Of a soul that’s passed someone,
Somewhere in between
Here and gone?
Up above me
Wayward angels:
A blur of wings and gray.
One for courage, one for
Safety, one for just in case.
I thought a light went out
But now a candle shines.
I thought my tears wouldn’t stop
then I dried my eyes.
And after all of this the truth
that holds me here,
Is that this emptiness is
Something not to fear.
Yeah, I’ll keep wondering
How we know where we belong,
After all the journeys made
And the journeys yet to come,
when I feel like giving up
Instead of going on,
Somewhere in between. . .

And I’m wondering how we know where
We belong.
Is it in the arc of the moon,
Leaving shadows on the lawn>
In the path of fireflies
And a single bird at dawn -
singing in between
Here and gone?