Thursday, July 07, 2005

Lana is a good friend of mine and this is a worthy worthy cause. REMEMBER: 70% of the World's AIDS population in in Sub-Sarahan Africa. if you can contribute, please do. it's entirely tax deductable and you may save a child's life.


Hey, y'all!
At last! Here is a way to help the folks in Africa and know that the ones who need it will actually be getting that help instead of corrupt government officials. I surely can vouch for Monika. She is a talented local playwright and actor. We did Italian-American Reconciliation a few years back, in which I played her aunt. In many ways, I still think of myself as her aunt. Please join me in sending her a small check, knowing that she will see that it gets to the ones who need it most.
Lana

Dear Friends,

I'm writing today to ask you to help me realize a dream - not a dream of my own invention, but a dream I have adopted and believe in. A brief introduction...

About 13 years ago, I met an incredible woman named Cori Stern. Through the years, we have remained friends, though at a distance as she moved from Austin to Los Angeles shortly after we met. A few years ago, Cori became very involved in relief work in Africa, founding a non-profit organization, cradle of life, to teach African midwives how to administer HIV preventative drugs to expectant mothers . Cori has taken several missions
to Africa now, each with a different purpose. Each time she has gone, she has solicited volunteers and donations, and I have always longed to accompany her.

This year, I will achieve this goal.

In September, I will be flying to Ghana, West Africa to assist in the creation of a school/resource center for 350 unaccompanied children who are currently housed in a refugee camp. These children, victims of civil war in Liberia, have been either separated from their parents while fleeing the war or orphaned. Some of them are as young as three and are considered "extremely vulnerable."

If you've seen the film HOTEL RWANDA or read articles on the plight of similar children in the aftermath of the Asian tsunami, you may have an inkling of the hardships these children are undergoing as we speak.

The school and resource center will not only be a place for them to learn, but a haven as well. Unfortunately, even though the cost of preparing the building and establishing the school is extremely low by Western standards, the local capital necessary to make the school functional isn't available. You can read more about this mission here.

I have been asked to raise $5,000 as part of my contribution to the effort. I must raise this money within the next eight weeks. At first, the amount seemed overwhelming, and still does to some extent. While a portion of it will pay for my travel and expenses while in Ghana, the bulk of it will contribute to this amazing project and the people whose lives will be forever changed. It has been important for me to remember that the real, lasting focus in fundraising is to raise awareness. I know that many of you are struggling, or maybe making do on a careful budget. I have to hope that some of you will be willing and
able to see what an amazing difference any donation may make to this cause, and how wonderful it can feel to be a part of it. Because this trip is an effort of a registered 501 C3 organization, all donations for the trip are tax deductible.

I feel truly honored to be given such a worthwhile opportunity and I hope that you will share my enthusiasm. I believe this will be a life-changing experience, and I am so thankful to have the chance to make a difference in such a constructive and educational way.

If you would like to donate to this mission, there are two ways to do so:

1) By check - made out to the non-profit organization "Creative Visions" and sent to me at:
Monika Bustamante
1500 E. 11th Street
Austin, TX 78702
ATTN: TEN DAYS
Please include your full address with the check.

2) Online at http://www.tendaysmission.blogspot.com. Click on "Make a donation." If you do, please put my name in the "Note" area, so that I can keep track of my donations.

Thank you so much for your support! I'll keep you updated on my progress, and the progress of the mission! And last but not least, a quote from the great George Bernard Shaw that inspires me every day:

"This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by
yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish
little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not
devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to
the whole community and as I live it is my privilege - my *privilege* to do
for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the
harder I work the more I love. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no
brief candle to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I've got a hold of
for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing
it on to future generations."


With much love and appreciation,
Monika Bustamante