Sunday, October 23, 2005

mr. zippy and i discovered a wee baby chipmunk in our garage this evening. poor lil' guy wasn't even trying to get away.

so mr. zippy put him in a towel as i called the Wildlife folks for instructions on how NOT to anymore ruin the short life of a small creature.

and it is so very wee, and frail, that he lays w/ his arms outstretched and panting just enough to let us know he's still alive. he was pretty non-responsive to the first two droppers full of fluid (a recipe given me by the Wildlife guy -- 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 qt water), and then SUDDENLY he flinched! He started quivering! His whiskers started acknowledging I was there! He showed SOME SIGNS OF LIFE! LIFE! LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!!!

but w/ the THIRD dropper of fluid he actually sat up and said HEEEEEEY! BAAA-BY!!! WASSSSSSSSSSSUP???

i tell you, it was a moment of pure joy for us all.

now he's in the Tupperware w/ holes significantly punched in its lid. he has a dishrag and a tiny lid of salt/sugar/water to tide him thru the night, and he's wrapped into himself, w/ his loooooong young tail tucked close over his entire body and head, sitting on half a heating pad. it makes me want to weep... but I've been listening to U2's "love is blindness" and now UB40's "Impossible love" and a whole lotta Robert Cray and I honestly wonder how HOW did I ever think I would be a horrific parent????

this wee one may not make it thru the night, but it won't be for (my) lack of trying.